Oct 18, 2014

Posted by Jo W. 10/18/2014
If you have been following my blog since this summer, you would know that I was posting updates on my cross-country cycling journey and abruptly stopped blogging in mid-July. A lot has happened since then, and it'll take me a while to fill in the gaps to my story.

Where to start... before I pick up where I had left off, I'll start with what I've been up to recently.

New City, New Beginnings

My cycling trip ended in Portland, OR in mid-August, and I flew back to where I started from, Baltimore, MD. Although my home is in Maryland, I spent only three days there packing my things and getting ready to move up to Boston, where I will be going to dental school for the next four years. I had spent the entire summer constantly traveling, sleeping in a different place every night, so settling into my apartment in Boston felt a bit strange and pleasant at the same time. I'll always have that wanderlust, and at times, being constantly in a city feels oppressing after all the wild and open spaces I've ridden through this summer. But it's also nice to feel at home in my own little place. I had been really looking forward to living in this historic and vibrant city and I couldn't wait to explore it and call it my home for (at least) four years.



Since moving up here, I started school and met my class of 195 dental students. We started school in the beginning of September, and since then, it's been very busy. Between classes, projects, and studying for exams, I have met and gotten to know quite a few people from my school. We work together, party together, and navigate this rocky first semester of first year together. There have been some rough patches (I'm currently in the midst of an exam block), but overall, it's been a great experience. I'm loving what I do, and I am where I want to be. The hard work will pay off in the end.


Running and Cycling in Boston

Of course since this is a blog about running and cycling, I should be covering all the great runs I've had along the Charles, right? The truth is, I haven't been running or cycling much at all.

What?! And I call myself a runner.

I haven't been running much lately (for the past three months, more specifically), because I wasn't able to run. Believe me, I definitely would've been running more if I could.

Since July, I had been sidelined by an injury, and that's part of the reason why I stopped blogging. Only recently have I gotten back to running and cycling again. I started with a 1 mile slow jog on October 10th, and a 3.75 mile run last Thursday. And I am still sore from that last one. It's going to be a long journey to regain my fitness and get myself back to where I was prior to my injury.

So what exactly happened? That's where I'll pick up next time.


Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter