Sep 27, 2013

Posted by Jo W. 9/27/2013
Cancer is a loaded word. It has touched everyone in some way or another. Maybe you have felt the tremors when you heard that a friend of a friend was recently diagnosed. Or maybe it has violently shaken your life and turned it upside down, whether you are battling it yourself or are fighting for someone near and dear to you.

Cancer is a powerful force that changes lives, but those who are facing cancer do not have to battle it alone. I made a decision to join hands with the cancer community to show my support.

I am on a mission to ride 4400+ miles across the country, from Baltimore, MD to Portland, OR with the 4K for Cancer in the summer of 2014.





The 4K for Cancer is a program of the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults (UCF). From the Ulman Cancer Fund site:

A leading voice in the young adult cancer movement, The Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults works at a grassroots level to support, educate, connect, and empower young adult cancer survivors.
Since inception in 1997, we have been working tirelessly at both the community level and with our national partners to raise awareness of the young adult cancer issue, and to ensure all young adults and families impacted by cancer have a voice and the resources necessary to thrive.
Our work is guided by our mission, vision, values and the priorities and goals set forth within our strategic plan.

So why am I doing this?

What is my connection to the cancer community?

I am fortunate that I have not witnessed a close friend or family member's battle with cancer. However, my connection to the cancer community is my paternal grandmother, who died of stomach cancer before I was even born. My father's mother passed away when he was in college and I could not imagine losing my own mom at such a young age.

Why am I traveling over 4000 miles this summer with the 4k?

I want to dedicate this year to combining my passion for cycling and serving others by showing my support for the cancer community. By riding over 4000 miles across the country, I hope to inspire those affected by cancer to keep fighting. My challenge of riding cross country is small compared to the hardships endured by cancer patients, but I hope that I can make a positive difference in their lives. I hope to change lives, inspire, and be inspired. I know that after this experience, my life will definitely be changed!


I am honored to be a part of this organization. I am so excited to begin my journey, meet many inspiring people along the way, and have the ride of my life! This is the greatest challenge I've ever embarked on; I don't know what the future will hold, there will be ups and downs, but I know it will be a life-changing experience.

Between now and the beginning of the ride in June 2014, I am raising $5000, which will be used to directly support cancer patients and funding scholarships, as well as covering the ride expenses. Check out my profile page on the 4K for Cancer website and to make a contribution to my cause.

Any and all donations are greatly appreciated!

Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter