Jul 31, 2013

Posted by Jo W. 7/31/2013
Remember those blackberries I picked yesterday?


Although I eat them straight up, of course I had to make them into something delicious. So I decided to make scones this morning. This is one of the best decisions I've made all morning. I'm enjoying one right now with some earl grey.

Second breakfast FTW

Since I am a nice person, I will share my recipe with you :)






Notes: I used turbinado sugar because I like that extra crunch. If you don't have it, any ol' sugar will do.
You can also make these vegan by subbing butter for vegan margarine and the milk for a non-dairy milk.



Blackberry Scones

1.5 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup turbinado sugar (or regular white sugar)
5 Tbsp butter
1 cup black berries
2/3 cup milk (I used homemade soy milk)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar. Cut in the butter until incorporated into the flour. I like to use my hands to "rub" in the butter.



Add the blackberries and gently toss until they are coated in flour. Add the milk and carefully mix until dough just starts to come together. If you want to make large scones, dump all the dough on a floured work surface and shape into a flattened circle, about 1 inch thick. Cut into 6 even wedges. 
To make smaller scones, do the same as above, but only use half the dough for each circle.

Place scones on a greased baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes, or until tops are starting to get a touch golden.


I made the mini-version of the scones. Which means I can eat two at a time, right?



Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter