Jun 18, 2012

Posted by Jo W. in , | 6/18/2012
I made these on Saturday so that I could grab a quick snack throughout the week. I ended up with 11 muffins, and I already ate two yesterday as a snack, and two this morning for breakfast. These aren't going to last long...

I tried making these healthy by making it with white whole wheat flour and adding flax meal. They aren't very sweet and are pretty low fat, but they are still very flavorful  and smell delicious baking :)

Sweet Potato Muffins
yields 11-12 muffins

  • 1 medium sweet potato
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 Tbsp flax meal (optional)
  • 1 1/2 cup flour*
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/3 cup milk**
Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Pierce the sweet potato a few times with a fork. Microwave it on high for 5 minutes, or until completely cooked through and very soft. You should be able to pierce a knife easily through to the middle. Peel the skin off.

In a medium bowl, mash the sweet potato until it is pretty smooth. Let it cool for a couple of minutes (you don't want the egg to cook!) Add the oil, egg, sugar, salt, spices, and vanilla and mix thoroughly. 

Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and milk to the sweet potato mixture. Mix until just combined. Avoid over-mixing.

Spoon batter evenly into a greased muffin tin. Bake for 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Notes:
* I used white whole wheat flour. All purpose will work fine as well, or a mixture of white and whole wheat flours.
** I used almond milk, since I usually don't buy dairy milk. Use any type of milk you have or prefer. Even water would work.

Sorry that I don't have a picture of these. They may or may not be gone already... >.>

What is your favorite type of muffin? 


When you bake, do your bake goods disappear within a day or two? (I have that problem every time I bake...)








Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter