Aug 22, 2013

Posted by Jo W. 8/22/2013
Three more weeks until the Philly Rock n' Roll Half Marathon! I am really excited for it because I am aiming for a 5 minute PR. Since I have a time goal of 1:57, I have been working on my speed lately. Except for my long runs, I am trying to do every run faster than my comfortable pace of 8:30-8:45 min/mile. I need to get used to running at a faster pace and sustaining it over a longer run.

Today, I decided to do a tempo run. My half marathon goal pace is 8:10. I really don't know if I can maintain that for 13.1 miles, but I still have three weeks to work on it! For today, I aimed to run the first 4 miles 10-20 seconds faster than goal pace, then maintain goal pace for the last two miles. The last two miles were tough, and I kind of bailed out from my original plan of running 6 miles at a sub-8 minute pace. Oh well, the last mile was basically all uphill, and I slowed down/struggled a lot. Gotta work on those hills, grr.

Here are my splits:

(mile- pace)

1- 7:36
2- 8:02 (ugh, long hill)
3- 7:57
4- 7:55
5- 8:12
6- 8:19

Cool down 0.5 miles at 8:44 pace



Haha I really need to get my own Garmin, because I keep stealing my brother's.


Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter