Apr 25, 2014

Posted by Jo W. in , | 4/25/2014
Today I want to share with you the staple foods in my diet that I eat almost every day. You will find at least a few of these items in my grocery cart. I try to stick with whole foods because I believe that a varied diet consisting of mostly whole foods can provide all the nutrients the body needs. Since I am very active, I focus on getting enough protein and superfoods (foods with high nutrient density and antioxidants). Carbs are also my best friends, and I tend to eat a lot in the form of oatmeal, bread (preferably whole grain), and fruits.

To read more about the way I eat, check out my Food Philosophy here. Remember, what works for me might not work for everyone.

Peanut Butter

What would I do without my peanut butter? I eat a lot of PB, multiple times a day sometimes! My favorite way to eat it is slathered over toast and topped with sliced banana or raspberry jam (with seeds). PB&J is my go-to snack when I'm a bit hungry, and the healthy fats and proteins help satisfy my runger (running-induced hunger). I also sometimes add a spoonful into my oatmeal or green smoothie.

Egg Whites




I eat egg whites to add some protein to my usually carb-heavy breakfasts. I add a 1/4 cup to my oatmeal, stirring it in about 40 seconds before it's done cooking in the microwave. It makes the oatmeal fluffy and thick. I also sometimes use egg whites when I'm making French toast.

Oatmeal

I tend to eat a lot of oatmeal for breakfast in the colder months. I like my oatmeal on the runnier side, and I always prepare it with water, cinnamon, a pinch of salt, egg whites, and topped with almond milk and sliced banana. When it's warmer, I prepare muesli, and soak my oatmeal in almond milk the night before, and

Yogurt




I used to eat a lot of Greek yogurt, but I've switched to this lactose-free yogurt since dairy seems to be giving me issues. I really like this yogurt because since it's treated with lactase, the enzyme that I'm apparently lacking, the lactose sugars are broken down into galactose and glucose (sugar our taste buds detect as sweet), which makes the yogurt taste sweeter without added sugars. I usually have a bowl of yogurt topped with frozen berries and granola for a post-workout snack.

Blueberries

Blueberries are rich in antioxidants, which are important for people who are really active. I like to buy frozen blueberries and add some to my post-workout smoothies. I also add them to yogurt, oatmeal, or pancakes.

Bananas

You can bet that there are always bananas on my counter in various stages of ripeness. I can never have too many bananas because when they get overripe, I toss them in the fridge for smoothies or bake with them. I eat so many bananas, my friends make fun of me. But it's true, I eat a lot of bananas. They're cheap and full of potassium and easy to burn carbs, which is why they are great for athletes!

Spinach

Now that the weather is warmer, I've been making more green smoothies. I almost always use spinach for my smoothies, since it's an easy way to add some greens to my diet. Plus, I like the pretty color it adds. Spinach is great because it's rich in iron, vitamin K, A, fiber, and a host of other nutrients and antioxidants which are important for athletes who produce more free radicals.

Coffee

Not really a food, but I can't ignore coffee as an important part of my balanced diet! It might be a lie that I'm not addicted to coffee, but I usually only drink one cup a day. Making coffee is the first thing I do. I always make it in my French press with freshly ground beans. In the summer, I make cold-brewed coffee the night before, so it's ready in the morning. All I have to do is press and pour over ice. I like the ritual of waking up with my daily morning cup. There are also studies that show the benefits of caffeine for athletes, especially for endurance athletes since it reduces our perceived levels of fatigue.


What are the staple foods in your diet that you eat on a daily basis?

Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter