Apr 2, 2014

Posted by Jo W. in , | 4/02/2014
Yesterday, I made a pumpkin cake because my relatives were visiting. I chose pumpkin just because I had a can of it in the pantry, and I love everything that's pumpkin flavored! I wanted to frost it with cream cheese frosting, but didn't have cream cheese, so I improvised. I used Greek yogurt in the frosting instead, and I think it still tasted like cream cheese frosting. Ya hear that? Healthy cream cheese frosting! (who am I kidding...)



For the cake:

4 large eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp salt
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 15oz can of pumpkin puree

For the frosting:

6 Tbsp butter, softened
4 Tbsp Greek yogurt
1 lb confectioner's sugar (a box)
pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease two 9 inch round cake pans.

In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Beat with a mixer for 2 minutes, or until everything is well combined and a bit frothy.

Sift the flour, baking soda, and baking powder together. Add to the wet mixture and beat until just combined. Stir in the pumpkin puree. 

Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans, smoothing over the surface of the batter. Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out cleanly. Cool completely before frosting. 

For the frosting, beat the butter, yogurt, and salt in a medium bowl until combined. Add the powdered sugar a cup at a time, until the frosting has a thick consistency. Whip a minute or two more, until it's very smooth and fluffy.


To assemble the cake, place one of the layers on a cake plate or round. Spread an even layer of frosting on top, and place the second layer on top. Dump most of the frosting on top, and started spreading it to the edges. Frost the sides of the cake, smoothing it out, or making it textured. Garnish however you like; I used some coconut flakes on top and chopped almonds on the sides. 



What's your favorite cake flavor?
Layer cake or cupcake? 


Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter