May 26, 2014

Posted by Jo W. in | 5/26/2014
Happy Memorial Day! I hope you are enjoying the long weekend. I certainly am! Going on a picnic and hike today.

One year ago from today, I bought my first road bike on Memorial Day weekend and went on an inaugural ride with my dad. This Sunday, I went on a ride with a friend to a local mountain and tasted some wine at a nearby vineyard. What a way to commemorate my first year of cycling :)

We started at noon and were treated to some great weather. Blue skies, sunshine, and a few fluffy, white clouds over the countryside.


I can see Sugarloaf Mountain from my house, about 15 miles away. Although I've ridden by it many times, I've only climbed it once before. There is also a vineyard that I have passed by and never visited. My friend hadn't been either, so on Sunday, we decided to (finally) pay a visit.


Before we wined, we climbed. It's a nice climb with a bunch of switchbacks, about 400 ft gain with an average grade of 6%. My legs weren't feeling that fresh, and I didn't want to kill myself, so I took it easy.


When we reached the top, we took a breather, enjoyed the views, and took some pictures.

And of course, I had to take a selfie ;)

We descended, and it was time for wine! The vineyard was packed with people enjoying wine, having picnics, and listening to live music. We parked the bikes and headed to the tasting tent. $10 to taste all 8 wines, not bad. We started with two whites, a rose, three reds that were progressively fuller bodied, and two dessert wines. I really enjoyed the Cabernet Franc and Stomp, a sweeter wine that tasted like red berries. They use that in their sangria, which I unfortunately didn't get to try. I still had 25 miles to ride!


I am going back to the vineyard to pick up a few bottles of wine and try the sangria. I don't think sticking wine bottles in my water bottle cages is a wise idea, so I'm going to drive there next time.


This ride was the best idea ever. I can't think of a better way to spend the afternoon.

Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter