May 12, 2014

Posted by Jo W. in , | 5/12/2014
The weekend was off to a great start with delicious pizza from a local pizzeria. The restaurant makes one of the best wood-fired Neapolitan style pizzas in the area. I try to go at least once a month, always on Fridays. This time, I splurged on the special: porcini cream, mozz, cherry tomato, and ramps. It was mainly the ramps that caught my eye. The earthy, savory flavor of the porcini gave the pizza a nice depth of flavor, though I thought the ramps were a bit lackluster. And it was kind of hard to eat it off a pizza. I still inhaled the entire pizza.


For Mother's Day, I had a special dinner planned for my mother and my aunt. Earlier in the week, I had told them that we were going to a nice restaurant that I got reservations for. For the afternoon, my dad kept them out of the house by taking them shopping while I cooked. They got home right at dinner time, and what a surprise they had when the "restaurant" turned out to be in our own dining room! I got my younger cousins to help, and they played the host and waiter. They also helped pick out flowers, cards, and presents.


We started with some hor d'oeuvres. I made caprese salad stacks with tomato, mozzerella and basil, as well as cucumbers topped with cream cheese-filled smoked salmon.


We had a huge cobb salad with asparagus, radishes, avocado, strawberries, peas, and egg, tossed in a lemon-balsamic vinaigrette. The meat dish was steak stuffed with mushroom and bleu cheese.


For dessert, I made a lemon chiffon cake filled with lemon curd and frosted with lemon butter cream. I actually just added a bit of curd to a standard buttercream recipe, and it worked perfectly.


How did you celebrate Mother's Day?

Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter