May 29, 2014

Posted by Jo W. in , | 5/29/2014
So... lately I haven't been running much. With all the cycling I've been doing, running just hasn't been a priority. I've done maybe a handful of runs this past month. Pshh, and I call myself a runner.

I actually miss it. I miss running consistently and training for races, running long on the weekends, and doing speedwork (yes, even speedwork!). So, to remedy this, I decided to sign up for another half marathon, because, why the hell not. Yesterday, I went ahead and registered for the Michelob ULTRA Boston 13.1 Marathon on September 14, 2014. By then, I would already have lived in Boston for about a month, and started dental school.

Am I crazy for registering for this race? With my cross-country cycling trip taking up most of my summer, I have absolutely no idea how much training I can do. When I get back from the trip, I will have less than a month to do 13.1-specific training. 



Here are the factors that influenced my decision:

  • Fast and flat course
  • A local race that I can get to via public transportation
  • After the 2nd week of dental school, so hopefully I won't be super busy yet
  • Running through my new city would be a great way to get familiar with it

Also, if I am going to run this race, I really want to get a PR. My last half marathon was Rock n' Roll Philly last September. After I finished that race, I told myself that my next goal would be to break 1 hour 40 minutes. I know that I have it in me, especially if it's a fast course. So for this 13.1, my goals are:

A) Break 1:40:00 (that's a 7:36 pace!!)
B) Get a PR (faster than my current PR of 1:44:39)
C) Enjoy the race in my new city 

Haha, let's see how this goes. Over the summer, I will see if I can run at least once a week. We will have rest days in different cities, and going for a run would be a great way to explore. Also, when I get to Portland, I am looking forward to seeing the city by running through it.

In other news, FOOD:

Last night, I met up with one of my college friends and had some great Ethiopian food in Silver Spring. I had a great time catching up with her, and we really enjoyed the delicious food. We got the combination platter that had chicken, lamb, beef, and collard greens. The lamb and chicken were so tender and flavorful. I don't get Ethiopian that often, so this was a treat.
Today, I went shopping with my mom and aunt at noon, and ended up getting lunch at a sushi buffet. The restaurant is owned by Koreans, so there is also good Korean food, as well. At night, they even have Korean BBQ, which is cooked table-side. I ate a lot of sushi and it was fabulous.
Also, this came in the mail today. I ran the Pike's Peek 10K in April and got 2nd place in my age division. This was the first time I actually placed in a running race and actually won something! A few years ago, I would have never dreamed that I would be fast enough to place in a race. Haha this is perfect; I will use the gift card the next time I need to carbo-load for a race.




Do you have any races on the calendar?
Have you ever tried Ethiopian food?

Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter