Oct 27, 2013

Posted by Jo W. 10/27/2013

I've been super busy these past week, and haven't even sat down at my computer in four days. I ran the Marine Corps Marathon today, and am currently relaxing in bed. And I don't think I'm going to get up from it for the rest of today. I'll post a race recap tomorrow.

For today, let's rewind to Thursday and Friday, when I took a short trip out to Salt Lake City for yet another dental school interview. I swear this is the last one! Well, for now.

Thankfully, I had direct flights both ways, so the traveling wasn't too bad. I flew into SLC around 1pm, and the first thing I did was rent a car. Unfortunately, when I went to pick up my car, they didn't have any mid-sized cars that were ready to go, and I didn't want to wait 20-ish minutes, so I got this huge ass truck.

The Dodge Ram is seriously HUGE. And I wasn't used to driving such a huge car, hence the terrible parallel parking job. That's okay, since I just parked to stop by a bakery to get some delicious pastries.

Whenever I travel, I look up all the must-eat things, and I heard that the kouign aman from Les Madeleines was really good. Oh man, it was really good. The pastry was crispy with caramelized sugar on the outside, and the inside was soft and seriously buttery. With so much butter and sugar, of course it's gonna be good.

Next, I decided to spend the afternoon at the Natural History Museum of Utah. Isn't Utah gorgeous? The architecture of the building was also really cool.

There was a terrace on the third floor where you can see solar panels and green roofs.

I could look at these mountains all day. I could see myself living in Salt Lake City. The famous powder snow for snowboarding is also a plus.

Some cool exhibits in the museum. I spent about two hours and tried to go through every exhibit. It was a bit rushed, but I got to see most of them.

For dinner, I went to Red Iguana for some "killer" Mexican food. It's a pretty popular restaurant and was featured in Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. I went around 5:30, and by the time I was done eating, a bunch of people were waiting outside.

They are known for their mole sauce, and the server let me sample all of them. It was a tough decision, and they were all pretty good. The mole I chose came with pork, though to be honest, it was pretty tough and overcooked. The huge platter of meat also came with tortillas, rice and beans, and chips and salsa for an appetizer. I ate most of the food, and was really full.

The rest of the trip wasn't too exciting. I stayed at a friend's house and drove to the school early in the morning. The interview took 5 hours, so I had time to grab lunch downtown before heading to the airport in the afternoon. 


Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter