Oct 5, 2013

Posted by Jo W. 10/05/2013
Yesterday, I celebrated my mom's birthday with the family. It was a milestone birthday, so I tried to make it extra special.

Since I had the entire day off, I decided to make my mom a birthday cake and dinner. I started the cake in the morning, and baked two layers of white cake. The layers were filled with whipped chocolate ganache and raspberries, then frosted with whipped cream frosting.


It actually ended up being three layers, because I decided to split one of them (to hold more chocolate ganache filling!)



Decorating cakes is really fun! I am no pro, though. I did a sloppier job than I would have liked. Good thing my dad's birthday is coming up this month, as well, so I have another chance to make an prettier cake!

And the best part of cake-baking is eating the batter/frosting/chocolate. I definitely ate a lot of chocolate in the process of making this cake...

For my mom's birthday dinner, I decided to make Italian. For appetizers, we had fried calamari and prosciutto-wrapped melon.


This stuff was so addicting, btw.


For the main dish, I went all out and made an amazing seafood pasta dish. This is some seriously good stuff, and I'll share the recipe soon! It's a pretty involved dish, so it's great for a special occasion like a birthday. Noodles are also a great birthday dish because they symbolize longevity. True fact ;)


The pasta noodles were handmade (I don't have a pasta maker... so they are literally handmade), tossed with a mix of calamari, shrimp, and mussels.

We had a great meal, and I hope my mom enjoyed her birthday!

Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter