Apr 29, 2014

Posted by Jo W. in , | 4/29/2014
Last Sunday, I ran my goal race for the season and did spectacular in running a PR in the 10K. I also found out yesterday that I got 2nd place in my age division (18-24). I think I win a $35 gift certificate, which is about how much I paid for the race registration. Haha, that's funny to think that I earned that back. I don't care about the prize, but I'm just kind of in disbelief that I actually won something in a running race. I have only gotten a lot faster recently since focusing on 10K training this spring, so I'm still kind of absorbing the fact that I am relatively fast runner. I guess I'm living up to my blog name, eh?

After finishing a big running goal, I always feel a bit at a loss as to what my next move will be. I felt the same way after the Marine Corps Marathon last fall when I didn't have my next goal race to train for. There are no running races on the calendar, and I know that I probably won't run at all this summer as I am biking across the country. After this summer, I will be moving to Boston to start dental school, where I will be Busy with a capital B. I'm not sure whether I have time to run, let alone train for a race. So my running future is a bit uncertain. I will dearly miss running this summer, but that's okay, because I love cycling equally as much!

Right now, I am working on becoming a stronger cyclist. I've been toying with the idea of racing for a while, now, and I have always wanted to try it. The race I am targeting is a road race, and it's two 22 mile laps. I'm not confident in racing a criterium, where racers go around a much shorter loop (about 1 mile) for a certain amount of time or laps. Crits require a lot more technical skills, power, and knowledge to read the race, which I don't have. Maybe after I have a few more years of cycling experience, I'll give it a try.

Here's a roundup of goals from last week, and my goals for this week.

Road Runner Girl

Goals from last week:

1. Prepare for my charity yard sale/bake sale- I sold quite a few items and made a few hundred dollars. Overall, I would say this was pretty successful, though I wish I could have gotten rid of more stuff. The baked goods didn't sell as well as I would have liked, too. Oh well, more cookies for me.

2. Do two quality runs- I reached this goal about 30% of the way... only did one run last week, and that was kind of a fail. Was planning on doing 8ish miles at slightly slower than race pace, but I went out way too fast, was dehydrated, and underfueled. I also opted to go for a training ride instead of running a second time.

3. PR in the 10K- Done. I ran hard and gave it my all. Shaved almost 4 whole minutes off my 10K time and won 2nd place in my division. Read my race recap here.

4. Go to yoga class three times- Reached this goal by going to yoga class on Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday.

This week's goals:

1. Find an apartment- not fitness related, but I really need to find an apartment by the end of May. I am moving to Boston in August, and I need to secure a place before I head off across the country in June. So this is my top goal right now.

2. Go on a group training ride- Last week, I went on a group training ride with a local bike club and it went great! If I am going to do my first road race in May, I need to practice riding in a group more. The training rides are great for me to practice pace lining and staying out of the wind. These people go FAST, and it's great to challenge myself to become a stronger rider.

3. Run at least once- Although running is taking a backseat in terms of training, I still love it and can't bear the thought of not running anymore. Cycling is my main focus right now, but I will still run to crosstrain.

4. Run some trails- Every time I go for a trail run (which is rarely), I tell myself that I should do it more often. Well, I don't listen to myself most of the time, so I haven't gone trail running all that much. Now that spring is in full bloom, it will be beautiful to run in the forest.

5. Go to yoga three times- I have been consistently going to yoga classes for the past month, and I am going to buy another unlimited month class pass. I only have one month left before I leave, so I'm going to make the most of it!

What goals are you focusing on this week?


Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter