Aug 20, 2013

Posted by Jo W. 8/20/2013
This morning, I decided to do some unstructured speed work. I borrowed my brother's Garmin Forerunner 305. This was my first run with a GPS watch! I liked being able to see my instantaneous speed, which is helpful during a fartlek.

For the first two miles, I ran at a 6 to 7 min/mile pace for 60-90 seconds and then a couple minutes at a 9 min pace to recover. Then I ran mile 3 and 4 at a steady pace at about 8:20. Mile 5 was the slowest, because it was the steepest part of my route. I ran the last mile trying to sustain a 7:30 pace, which was hard! I was pretty tired by then, but I pushed hard and finished with a 7:31 split.

Then I ran a mile to cool down for a total of 7 miles.

When I first started running, I didn't like the idea of using a GPS watch to get constant feedback about time and pace. I wanted to focus on my effort, instead. Now that I am trying to build up speed and reach time goals, a GPS watch is an invaluable tool for hitting a target pace.

After using my brother's watch, I am thinking of getting my own. Or else I'll have to steal it from him.

Any suggestions on what kind of watch to get? Maybe one I could use for biking, as well?

Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter