Aug 24, 2013

Posted by Jo W. 8/24/2013
I had a wonderful 33 mile bike ride this morning and I am raving about it. There is a small (emphasis on small) mountain/natural area called Sugarloaf Mountain about 15 miles from where I live. I have been wanting to bike there all summer, and finally mapped out a route and rode it this morning!

My route took me through the quiet countryside, and it was really really beautiful! I wish I stopped to take more photos along the way. I'm really bad at stopping to smell the proverbial flowers. Oh well. 

When I reached Sugarloaf, I decided to ride up the roads that loop up and down the mountain. It wasn't too bad of a climb, and there were a few switchbacks.



I made myself stop to take a few selfies photos of the scenery.


My baby! I got my Cannondale Synapse on Memorial Day this year. It's my first road bike! I'm so spoiled :P


Haha I wrote turning directions in Sharpie on my arm... Hey, it works and I didn't get lost.


The east view from the top! Yea... you can probably tell that Sugarloaf isn't much of a mountain. But the views were still nice :)


Ah, the countryside. I really love riding through here.



The western lookout had this rocky area and a rock structure. I don't really know what it's for. It looked like a little shelter or something, and there were steps that take you to a platform on the top.




After taking in some views, I rode down the mountain and started to head home. I saw a lot of bikers along the way, but they were all going in the opposite direction. I think I was the only one riding the loop in a clockwise direction... Did I miss the memo? 

The entire ride took me about 2 hours 30 minutes for a total of 33 miles. It was a really nice solo ride, though I want to find a group to ride with. Almost every cyclist I saw today was riding in a group. I'm not entirely comfortable riding out on my own, especially now that I am going on longer and longer rides on unfamiliar and empty roads. Unfortunately, my dad can't keep up with me on rides like this. He actually started with me, but I was getting way ahead and had to stop and wait too frequently. He actually turned back at mile 10. Sad :(

I'd like to do this ride again, and maybe find some other roads to extend the ride to about 40-50 miles. There's a loop that goes all the way around the mountain that I might tackle some day. 

Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter