Aug 18, 2013

Posted by Jo W. 8/18/2013
The forecast today said rain all morning and into the afternoon. Uh oh. I usually avoid running in the rain, because I absolutely hate being soaking wet and hate wet feet even more. But Sundays are my long run days, and I had to get it done. It was raining very lightly when I was getting ready to go out, but as I stepped out, wearing capris, cap, and a light jacket, it stopped raining! I was overdressed, but I didn't want to turn back, so I tied my jacket around my waist and kept going.

I was not feeling it this morning. Let's just say I had some digestion issues and I had to use the toilet a few times before I left the house. I was feeling a bit queasy, even slightly sick. And weirdly tired. But I went out anyways.

I headed on my usual long run route, and told myself that maybe I'll cut my run short today. Just reach the turn around for a 10 miler and turn back. I felt a bit depleted for some reason, so I took half my gel at mile 4 and the other half at mile 10. As I turned back, my energy levels seemed to increase and I was feeling pretty good. At one point, I decided to go at least 13 miles.

Then I was like, heck, I still feel great! So I added a few loops here and there, and what do you know, I ended up running 16 miles! At a 8:45 pace, too! My marathon goal pace is 9:00 min/mile, so running 16 under goal pace is awesome :D The last few miles, I was getting pretty fatigued and hungry, though. I need more than one gel if I am going longer than 13 miles. I need to practice my fueling strategies on my long run, and now I know that I should be taking at least 2 gels during 16 miles.

Here's my training recap for this week:

8/11 Sunday- 12 m trail

8/12 Monday- rest/walk

8/13 Tuesday- Insanity Plyometric Cardio Circuit 

8/14 Wednesday- 6.2 mi tempo + 2 m cool down

8/15 Thursday- 20 mi bike

8/16 Friday- 10 mi tempo

8/17 Saturday- 31 mi bike (easy)

Totals: 

Ran- 30.2 mi
Biked- 51 mi




Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter