Sep 4, 2013

Posted by Jo W. 9/04/2013
Ahh, it finally feels like fall! It was in the 50's early this morning, and I had a great 8 mile run. Compared to my last run on Monday, today's was less of a struggle-fest. 57 degrees feels way better than a humid 70 degrees! I felt so tired and out of it on Monday. I was planning to run at least 10 miles, but I ended up turning back sooner than planned, and even started walking before I got home! Like, I almost never do that! It was that bad. Oh well, I guess I have some off-days.

Today, I tried to run sub-8 miles for the first 5 miles, and then run easy for the rest for a total of 8 miles. My splits were 7:24, 7:42, 7:29, 8:04, 7:55, 8:30, 7:49, 8:34. Maintaining that pace is hard, but the more miles I run at a faster pace, the easier it'll become. I have 10 days before Philly RnR, so I better make my workouts count!

And although it's kind of old news, I found out yesterday that Competitor Group Inc.(CGI), who runs the Rock N' Roll Marathon Series, is pulling the plug on their elite athlete program and allocating those funds to improve other aspects of the events for the thousands of other participants.What this means is that for the Philly RnR Half, the elite runners who have been invited to compete will not be paid their previously agreed-upon appearance fees.

The RnR races are getting more popular, and I'm not sure how CGI's business decision will affect the future of the races. There may be fewer elites running, but most people don't sign up to run a marathon for the big names in the field. Heck, I chose Rock n' Roll as my first race because the bands and festive atmosphere made it appealing and fun. Serious and competitive runners may disagree with the decision, but more people are getting into running marathons for fitness, health, and for the personal challenge. CGI recognizes that, and they've decided to focus on attracting more new runners to the sport. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

What are your thoughts on all of this?

Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter