Mar 4, 2014

Posted by Jo W. in , | 3/04/2014
Yesterday, I shared all the delicious food that I ate during my weekend in NYC. Today, I'll share some of the non-food related things that I did and saw, because I didn't actually spend the whole weekend eating.

The first thing I did after I checked into the hostel was walk for a bit on the High Line. The High Line is an old elevated train track turned into a pedestrian walk way/park. It is lined on both sides with plants and trees, and you can see great views of the city. 


On Friday night after dinner, my friends and I decided to walk back to Manhattan from Brooklyn via the Brooklyn Bridge. Although I've been to NYC a few times and I've seen many pictures of it, I've never walked across the bridge. It was frigid (19 degrees!) but we were rewarded by fantastic views of the skyline.


After walking around some more in Manhattan, we had to make the obligatory visit to Times Square (snore), since this was a friend's first visit to NYC. We were all very tired at this point, so we just made a quick walk around the square to see all the lights. 


On Saturday, we went to the Brooklyn Botanical gardens. I really enjoyed it, and I want to visit again when things in the garden are actually alive! They had a few exhibits indoors, such as a bonsai room and "tropical rain forest" (really hot and humid).

It was fun reading the different types of styles of bonsai. I think this one was "group".


My camera lens was fogging up in the hot and steamy "rain forest"

Love these types of lily pads!

I though these flowers were so cool



Next, we headed up to the Brooklyn Flea Market and Smorgasburg. We browsed around for about an hour and bought some food from the vendors. There was some interesting and quirky stuff, such as Art on Post-its, which was framed drawings of the city on Post-its.



What I love about the city is all the neighborhoods, such as Little Italy and Chinatown. We walked through both of them just to look around. Haha I love Chinatown because you can get delicious, authentic Chinese food, bubble tea, and pastries and buns at the Asian bakeries.


At night, we ended up at a roof top bar on 5th Ave. The drinks were pretty over-priced, but I guess that's what you pay for for the prime location. There were some great views from the rooftop garden, though all my pictures are tinted red from the heat lamps lining the entire area. They also provided us with fleece robes to keep warm! I was really cold, despite the robes, but a few drinks and lively conversation warmed me up ;)



On the last day, Sunday, I went to Central Park for a stroll. I saw a lot of runners, which made me want to go for a run! I wish I had the time for a run around the entire park, but I was definitely not dressed for that. Instead, we climbed up a huge rock and enjoyed the views.



As we walked by the ice skating rink, we happened upon a skating competition! It was just about to start, so I got to see the girls warm up and two of the competitors skate.



Well, that's about it! This weekend was amazing: good friends and good food in a fun city :D

Have you been to any of the places I mentioned? Where would you recommend that I visit on my next trip to NYC?


Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter