Mar 19, 2014

Posted by Jo W. in | 3/19/2014
My blog is called "Run Fast Eat Lots", if you haven't noticed the large header on top of the page. I've always lived up to the second half my blog's name, but I wasn't always what you would consider a fast runner.

The first version of my blog header

When I started running and writing this blog, I was slow, and probably logging 10 minute miles (why I still called it Run Fast Eat Lots, I don't know. It had a good ring to it?) Heck, when I did the mile run test way back in middle school, I think it took me 14 minutes! Granted, I wasn't even trying because I hated it. Gasp! Yes, there was a time when I actually hated running.

I discovered my love for running when I got sick of being a couch potato in college, and decided to sign up for my first half marathon in my senior year. Who cares if I've never ran more than 5 miles and had never even ran a 5K? I was determined to run the entire 13.1 miles and worked hard for my goal. Finishing my first half marathon in 2 hours, 14 minutes, and 10 seconds on October 21, 2012 was really life changing. I don't mean to sound cheesy or be profound, but seeing the success after I put in the hard work really changed my perspective of my abilities. Endurance running makes me feel bad ass, which gives me the confidence to be bad ass in other aspects of my life.

By the way, I averaged a 10:14 min/mile pace during my first half marathon. For my next one in the spring of 2013, my one goal was to come in under 2 hours. And I crushed that goal in 1 hour, 52 minutes, and 53 seconds. My most recent half marathon in the fall of 2013 was even faster: 1:44:39. That's a 7:59 pace.

I certainly didn't start off as naturally fast runner, but I have made pretty large strides. The thing is, running fast is all relative. If I compare myself to an Olympian, I am practically a turtle running for its life (though still a turtle). I am pretty sure that I will never be as fast as an elite marathoner, but I'm okay with that. I love running because it allows me to strive to become the best I can be.

My most recent 10K and half marathon have both been PRs, and I am currently aiming for another PR in the 10K. It's thrilling to see my times getting faster, and that's what makes running and racing exciting for me. However, I am aware that not every race is going to be a personal record. Getting faster is great and all, but I am not going to let that define my success as a runner. I find great joy in the simple act of running, and I never want it to become a chore. If that means going back to ambling at a 10 minute pace, at least I can slow down to smell the flowers :)

Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter