Mar 23, 2014

Posted by Jo W. in , | 3/23/2014
This week, I started taking yoga classes, ran a few speedy miles, and biked a bunch of easy-ish miles. I've been telling myself that I should start practicing yoga for years, and this Thursday, I finally decided to try a yoga class. It's been over 5 years since I took a yoga class (which was a high school gym class), and I've been doing a little yoga on and off in between. Thursday was my first real yoga class in a yoga studio. I was a little intimidated at first, since I wasn't sure what the class would be like, but it was very enjoyable! I went to another yoga class on Friday which was faster paced. I was able to keep up and felt so much better after all the stretching.

On Saturday, I went on my first bike club ride of the season. My friend invited me to ride with the Reston Bike Club, which was kind of out of the way for me, but I'm glad I went. I rode with a group of about 40 people, which split up into 3 groups. I went with the more relaxed paced ride and had an enjoyable, social ride. Since I wasn't familiar with the area (I live in Maryland, so Virginia roads confuse me), I just followed the group and didn't really think. We ended up riding 44 miles, and the time just flew by! The day started off pretty chilly, but by the end of the ride, I was really starting to sweat.

Afterwards, my friend and I went to check out a triathlon expo. We mainly went to hear Merinda Carfrae, the 2013 Ironman World Champion, and her husband, Tim O'Donnell, give a speech. It was pretty exciting to hear from the best of the best in Ironman! They talked about how they became triathletes, their races in Kona (the Ironman World Championships) and what it's like to be married to a triathlete.

My first 10K of the season is in a week, so this week I will do more speed work and a tempo run. Can't wait to race!

Tuesday- 45 mins on bike trainer + weights

Wednesday- 3.1 mi fartlek

Thursday- hatha yoga class
                  cycling 7 mi

Friday- running 5 mi tempo, avg 7:39 min/mi
             vinyasa flow yoga class

Saturday- cycling 44 mi with bike club at a relaxed pace

Sunday- running intervals: 7 x 400s avg 6:40, total 4.68 mi
              Yin Yang yoga class    

Totals
Running- 12.78 mi
Cycling- 51 mi

What was your favorite day this past week?

Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter