Mar 13, 2014

Posted by Jo W. in , , , | 3/13/2014
Two years ago, I started running and now I call myself a runner. Less than one year ago, I started road cycling, and now I call myself a cyclist. The next logical step is to do both sports I love in a single race.

Last fall, I was toying with the idea of adding swimming to the mix, and go for the trifecta that is swimming, cycling, and running. I had plans to buy a membership to my local aquatic center and pick up the third sport, my nemesis, swimming. But of course, that hasn't happened (yet!), so I am sticking with running and cycling for now. Triathlon will probably be in the cards, but this year isn't the year for it. And I'm okay with that.

I started looking for multi-sport races to register for this spring. Since I will be riding across the country all summer with the 4K for Cancer, I only have until the end of May to race. There are limited options, and although I prefer a longer distance race, I decided to register for the Hagerstown Sprint Duathlon on April 12.


The race is a 2 mile run, 10 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run. It's a small field with about 150 participants, and so far, only two other females in my age group (21-24). The training I'm doing for this race works well with my 10K training with some biking thrown in.

Here's a rough idea of my weekly training plan:

  • Two speed workouts (interval and tempo)
  • a long run
  • At least two bike rides/workouts 

I have four more weeks left to train, and I'm excited to do my first multi-sport event!

Have you ever done a multisport event?

Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter